Implant-Retained Dentures – Rochester, MN
Improving Smiles With a Permanent Solution
No matter the age, missing teeth can happen to anyone. While one tooth might not seem too embarrassing, having a row without teeth can certainly have a negative impact on how you look and feel about yourself. To prevent your oral health from worsening, and to stop the decline of facial sagging or “collapse,” Gentling Dental offers dental implants in Rochester that can serve to replace all your teeth. By combining dentures and implants, an implant-retained denture can give you the restored smile you want, all while improving the health of your jawbone, gum tissue, and overall oral health. Call us today to schedule a consultation with one of our highly skilled dental professionals.
How Do Implant-Retained Dentures Work?
Implant-retained dentures are a superior alternative to traditional dentures. Have regular dentures come a long way? Absolutely, but they still cannot provide the same level of quality and functionality as an implant-retained denture. Why is this?
Traditional dentures only sit on top of the gum line, never giving your jawbone the stimulation it needs. This is why an individual’s face will sag when removing their dentures. It is because their jawbone is deteriorating and is unable to offer the same level of support as it did with natural teeth.
With implant-retained dentures, not only are they permanent fixed into your jawbone, but they provide a restore facial appearance, substantially more functionality, and eliminate the need for adjustments and replacements over the years. Using 4-6 implants, a small connector (abutment), and a custom-made denture that is created to your liking, you can have a beautiful smile that looks and feels completely natural.
Am I a Candidate for Implant-Retained Dentures?
When it comes to an implant-retained denture, there are a few things our dentists must consider before moving forward with surgery. These include:
- Bone strength – If your jawbone is weak or has deteriorated because of a lack of stimulation offered by your natural tooth root, this will be problematic in ensuring your dental implant placement is a success. In these situations, it is necessary for you to receive a bone graft to offer additional bone support. This will require an additional procedure and time to heal, but in order to have the kind of results you want with an implant-retained denture, you’ll need a stronger, healthier jawbone.
- Overall oral health – Patients who have suffered or battled with gum disease will need to pursue periodontal therapy prior to having dental implants. If your gums are infected and plagued by harmful bacteria, it is crucial to have this removed, as it can harm your implant denture and cause it to fail.
The Implant-Retained Dentures Procedure
Although the procedure itself is timely, you will agree that with the results you achieve, it is well worth the patience and time it takes to achieve a longer-lasting smile.
Getting implant-retained dental implants requires your dentist in Rochester to administer anesthesia before making multiple incisions in your gum line. Depending on the need, our dentists will place 4 to 6 implants into your jawbone, carefully positioning them so that implant placement will be successful. When holding up any type of restoration, the implant must be positioned correctly, but rest assured, the specialists our dentists team up with have years of experience placing dental implants.
Once the implants are placed, your surgical sites will be stitched up and you’ll return home to allow your gums to heal, as well as allow the implants to fuse to the bone. Once you’ve healed, you’ll return to have abutments and your custom-made denture placed securely on top of your implants.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
- Greater stability and functionality when it comes to eating, chewing, and speaking
- Improved confidence and overall facial appearance
- Easier to maintain and keep clean
- A natural look and feel
- A longer-lasting restoration